Jeremiah Hatch


Jeremiah Hatch was a Mormon veteran of the Revolutionary War. A bronze plaque (18" x 24") was placed by his two-story brick home which lies a half-mile east of the old Nauvoo restoration area.  It is the only Illinois residence of a Revolutionary War veteran. The plaque reads:


"Home of Jeremiah Hatch, Revolutionary War soldier, member of the third regiment, Massachusetts line of the army of the revolution."


He enlisted April 1781, at the age of 15 and served until the war's end 30 November 1782. He moved from Vermont to Nauvoo, Illinois in 1842. This home was completed the winter of 1843. He died 23 May 1850 at the age of 83.


Jeremiah Hatch was left an orphan at the age of 10 in 1775 when his father died during the early stages of the American Revolution.  The boy, who had six brothers and sisters, was then bound out to an unkindly miller for five years.  When about 15 years old, his master sent him to the mill with a sack of grain on his back.  On the way, he met a recruiting officer and was induced to run away and join the army. 


He was not the desired height for a soldier so became a fifer in Captain Tisdale's Company, Colonel John Greaton's 3rd Regiment. He was reported transferred to Captain Woodbridge's Company 10 June 1782. The descriptive list dated Hutts, New Boston, 13 May 1782, aged 17 years, stature 5 ft. (also given 4'10"); complexion, dark; hair, dark; occupation, yeoman (also given as laborer). The title of Captain was given to him. After the war he was put in command of a militia company in his home town.  His pension for service as a revolutionary soldier was $96 a year.


He married in Ferrisburg, Addison County, Vermont, 23 November 1789, Elizabeth Haight, daughter of Caleb and Elizabeth Allen Hoyt, the ceremony being performed by Abel Thompson.  She was born 24 April 1772 at None Partners, Dutchess County, New York.  After his marriage, his mother made her home with them for some years.  The couple was unfortunate with their children, for twelve of them died in infancy.  Like Hannah of old, she pleaded with the Lord to give her a child and covenanted with Him that if the child lived, she would dedicate him to His service.  Her prayer was answered and she was blessed with four sons who lived to become men. 


The eldest of the four, Hezikiah, was the first to receive the message that the Latter-day Saints proclaimed to the world of the restored gospel. He brought the glad news to his parents who were living in Bristol, Addison Co., Vermont.


[Mr. Oscar Bicknell told Judge Edward W. Hatch in the early 1900's that the home was practically in the same condition as it was when the Hatch family owned it, except that there were more trees in front -- hard maple.  In front of it lies the valley of the New Haven river, a small stream having its source in the mountains. There were twelve hundred acres in the farm connected with the home, most of it beautiful flat land in the valley of the river of which Jeremiah owned both sides and was one of the prosperous farmers of that region. This was the property sold when he and his family migrated to Nauvoo.]


The Hatch family received the Gospel, were baptized in 1840 and made preparation to gather with the Saints in Nauvoo, Illinois. They disposed of their property to good advantage, and in 1842, they were on their journey to the west in wagons drawn by good horse teams. They were comfortably equipped for the long drive of 1,200 miles.   Jeremiah purchased a home in Nauvoo where they were not permitted to live long in peace as mobs of wicked men were constantly harassing the members of the church with which they had identified themselves.


On the 26th of June 1844, their son Hezikiah was taken from them by death. He left his orphan children, their mother having died prior to their leaving Vermont. The two youngest were girls, Adeline and Elizabeth, who now became charges of their grandparents. Then on 27 June 1844 their beloved Prophet and Patriarch Joseph and Hyrum Smith were killed and new troubles arose.


When the Mormons began their western migration in the spring of 1846, Jeremiah and Elizabeth stayed in their home in Nauvoo with Josephus, his pregnant wife, and several grandchildren. They planned to leave when physical conditions permitted, but a mob had other plans. On 15 September 1846, the Hatches were robbed and forced out of their home on a moment's notice.


They escaped in an open wagon and camped on the banks of the Mississippi River for a week before crossing it. Their horses had been stolen, so they were obliged to depend on friends to assist them to Sugar Creek, Iowa.  From here they moved to Winter Quarters near Florence, Nebraska where Jeremiah's wife died 15 Dec. 1847.


Jeremiah had received a promise from the servants of the Lord that he should live to bless his children and his children's children. This promise was literally fulfilled. He died 23 May 1852 at the home of his son, Josephus, in a place called Pleasant Grove, ten miles from Kanesville, Nebraska.


With other starving and ill refugees, they experienced the miracle of the quail at Sugar Creek, Iowa when flocks of the fowl descended on the winter camp and were so docile they could easily be caught. The incident occurred 9 October 1846. The family traveled on to Utah, settling in the Ogden area in 1852.