Eliza Victoria Telford McCarthy


This information was obtained from a book on the Garden Grove Company and from the histories of John and Jane Telford written by Effie Lenore Wiser, a granddaughter of John's from his second wife.† Effie used to sit and listen to Johnís stories.† Eunice Merrill


Eliza Victoria Telford was born 24 March 1835 in Essex, Ontario, Canada.† Her parents, John and Jane Telford, were born in Armagh, Ulster, Ireland. They were married on 13 March 1825 at Bearhead, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Their first son was born in Scotland, the next daughter and son were born in Armagh, Ireland. They emigrated to Canada where the next two children were born, Victoria being the last.


After eight years, her parents came into contact with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Her mother was baptized on 3 January 1838 and her father was baptized on 17 January 1838.† Eliza was baptized on 2 August 1844.


Here they began their sacrifice for their new religion. They left their maple orchard and their home and joined the saints in Kirtland, Ohio where the church was suffering from persecution. They were in Missouri in 1839 and were miraculously preserved during the mobbings. (See parents' stories.)


They established residency in Nauvoo where they built a good brick house with a lovely flower garden. They were prospering once again when the persecutions began again.† In February 1846, they were with over twenty thousand other destitute Mormons in their exodus.


Garden Grove was established on 24 April 1846 as a temporary settlement founded by the exiled Saints from Nauvoo while en route to the Missouri River. In 1851, President Brigham Young urged those who still remained in the settlements in Pottawatamie County, Iowa to come to Salt Lake Valley without delay. About twenty-one families at Garden Grove, being anxious to obey this counsel, and being prepared financially to make the journey, became acquainted with a non-Mormon, named Harry Walton, a gold miner who had established a home in California and had come back east to fetch his family, and he was engaged to lead this little group of Saints as far as Salt Lake City.


They left Garden Grove on 17 May 1851, with sixty wagons. They passed several companies on the road and remained close to Capt. John Brown's Church train. There was no friction between the two companies and the independent companies were always welcome as long as they were willing to obey the rules of the larger camp. Each group maintained its own identity.


Victoria, who was in her teens, drove one of the teams for her family. When on the plains, horses were sometimes shot or stolen; and during a stampede, one horse of the team she drove was replaced by a cow hitched to the wagon. The wagon driven by her sister was pulled by a black mare. When the mare was killed by an Indian's poisoned arrow, she had to use a cow to replace it, also.


When they began the trek, her father was 49 years of age; her mother, 55; Robert, 25; Anna, 24; John, 19; and Eliza, 16. A brother, George, died in Garden Grove in 1850, at the age of 30, and was survived by a wife, Louisa Ann Wilson. The Garden Grove Company arrived in Salt Lake City on September 24, 1851.


Victoria's family lived across the street from Bishop Anson Call's family. She met John McCarthy, Jr. who stayed with the Call family and married him on 13 March 1857 in Salt Lake City in the Endowment House.


Her parents were buried in Richmond, Utah. She died in Turner, Bannock, Idaho on 13 January 1915 at the age of 79, a couple of months before her 80th birthday. She was buried in Smithfield, Utah.